Sign Design Tips | Sign Graphics Advice
A list of important design tips from Sign Dynamics for creating clean, eye-popping, highly visible sign graphics.
Signs are one of the most efficient and effective means of communication. Signs help people find you; they reach people who are passing by your establishment; they present an image of your business. In short, signs tell people who you are and what you are selling.
A sign is the most direct form of visual communication available.
SIGN DYNAMICS REQUIREMENTS FOR A PROPER SIGN:
- A sign must be noticeable.
- A sign should have a clean and simple, but brief message.
- A sign must be readable. Review the letter visibility chart below for more details.
- Maximum Distance in color would be RED or BLACK on WHITE Background, 5,280′ equals 1 mile.
(For maximum Impact)
Maximum Distance in color would be RED or BLACK on WHITE Background, 5,280′ equals 1 mile.
- A sign must be legible, well designed and easy to read.
Pantone Matching System (PMS)
- A sign should use contrasting color combinations.
- Lettering Tips
Use simple block fonts when creating signs that need to be readable from a distance. A more stylish font may be harder to read and required to be set at a larger size. You should never set a script or cursive font in all capitals, the results will be very hard to read.
- A sign should use no more than two different fonts. There are over 3,000 fonts available, but only a handful are usually used over and over in the sign business. Use a size and boldness to create diversity and interest.
The most popular fonts utilized for sign designs are: